Sunday, August 9, 2009

Livin' On Love

Well, it's taken me a half hour since turning on my computer to get to this page. I'm not really sure what is wrong with my computer, but it's inspired me to write a very brief post since I have sauce simmering on the stove and dough ready rise out over its bowl.

I want to discuss Christy's idea today of how to have fun on a budget.

I know most people's budgets are tighter right now, but this is something that can be a great resource all of the time.

So, what do you do for fun that is cheap or free?

I am all about coupons. If you don't get the newspaper, you should still get coupons in the mail for local restaurants and entertainment. Those are a simple and quick way to cut costs.

Call local entertainment places to find out when their specials are. Many places like museums, bowling alleys or miniature golf centers offer discounts for going at off-peak times and days.

Have a picnic in the park.

Rent movies from you library. Most libraries do this for free. Even Redbox can't beat that.

Also, check your library for discount passes to local attractions.

Google recipes for your favorite restaurant dishes and try to make them yourselves.

Go people watching at a mall, park, or airport. If you really want to get crazy, have a scavenger hunt of sorts and try to find someone wearing a black vest, carrying a red purse, toting the most luggage, etc.

One thing we love to do is take walks. HH and I have been doing that ever since we first started dating. It's a great time to discuss subjects that may not come up when we're surrounded by all of our projects and to-do lists in our home. It's also a great opportunity to explore new places, or even where we live. Most of the time our kids enjoy our walks too, but if they get a little long then we play games like trying to look for things of certain colors or having little races.

Have a game night with your friends. Everyone can bring their favorite game and snack.

Have a pizza night with your friends. If you're hosting you can provide the dough and sauce and have your friends bring their favorite toppings.

I got this off of another blog, but I love the idea. It's for kids. Freeze some toys in plastic containers and water. Then pop the ice out of the container and give your kids safe tools and see who can "free" their toy the fastest. Do this outside.

These are not necessarily my best ideas, but hopefully, it gets you started. I'm hoping to see lots of comments this week because I know you can all add to this list!

5 comments:

Meg said...

Those are great ideas! Thanks!

I love you!

Christy said...

I think it is so important to take time to just have fun! Sometimes I get so bogged down with everything that I think I don't have time or money for fun but it is essential and sometimes I have to remind myself of that. :)

Some other ideas: I love to go hiking--it's a great way to get out and enjoy nature too!

Free concerts and festivals. There usually is some form of one almost every weekend. You can find them online or in the paper.

Camping! It's usually pretty cheap.

Thanks for the ideas!

Nikki said...

I love those ideas, Cheryl. I definitely agree with the renting movies from the library. Public libraries are the best. We don't watch much TV, so we don't have cable, so if we want to watch a show we often go on hulu.com.

I think that saves us money. :).

Amy said...

Those are really fun ideas. We also enjoy playing board games together. We also like to make milkshakes together. You just let each person pick their favorite candybar, come home, put it in the blender with some ice cream and milk, and voila! you have your own milkshake!

Linda said...

WOW! I love that comments are now on the page with your posts! Thanks for making it so easy to get all these ideas. And what a comprehensive resource list of inexpensive ways to have fun !