Monday, November 23, 2009

Would You Say I Have a Plethora of Pinatas?

I don't have any, actually. Tragic, I know.

But I do have a plethora of many many things.

HH and I are not even close to wealthy by U.S. standards. But we have more than enough for our needs and I know that is not the case for many people and families throughout the world. I really do feel very blessed.

There's a hymn that I've loved ever since I was very young. In fact, I think it's one of the first hymns I memorized as a child because it stirred very poignant feelings within every time I sung it. Last month I learned it was a favorite of my grandma's too, so now it has that much more meaning to me.

Many of you are familiar with it, but I'd like to share the text of it here.

Because I Have Been Given Much

Because I have been given much, I too must give;
Because of thy great bounty, Lord, each day I live;
I shall divide my gifts from thee
With every brother that I see
Who has the need of help from me.

Because I have been sheltered, fed by thy good care,
I cannot see another’s lack and I not share
My glowing fire, my loaf of bread,
My roof’s safe shelter overhead,
That he too may be comforted.

Because I have been blessed by thy great love, dear Lord,
I’ll share thy love again, according to thy word.
I shall give love to those in need;
I’ll show that love by word and deed:
Thus shall my thanks be thanks indeed.

I can't really think of much to add to that, so I'll just leave you with one final challenge. In the spirit of gratitude, I'm going to make an extra effort to give to someone every day this week. And not just along the usual lines of the things I do for my family, but something that really requires extra thought and effort on my part.

No one is so poor that they have nothing to give. One of the best gifts can often be a smile to a stranger. Or sharing your faith with someone in doubt. A hug. All sorts of gifts of kindness.

So, go out and show your gratitude by giving.

And have a fabulous Thanksgiving!

4 comments:

Melissa said...

This has always been one of my favorites as well!

Nikki said...

Beautiful. Have a great Thanksgiving too!

Nikki said...

By the way, I like the music, I am listening to it all right now :) Thanks!

Christy said...

I love this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0O1DV5M1ww

Seriously, everyone has something to give. :)