Sunday, October 11, 2009

Joy Model

So, since posting my last post, I booked a flight and flew out to the funeral and returned home late last night. Last week felt like the longest week ever. Not necessarily because it was bad; it's just that way too much happened for it to have only been one week.

But here I am again, so it must have been just a week all the same.

And my inspiration again comes from my grandma. Or her funeral, really.

All nine of her children and almost all of their spouses shared a memory and some thoughts on their mother at the funeral. It made for a long funeral, but I felt privileged to hear so many different view points on the same wonderful person. They all love her and admire her, but each in his or her own way.

And almost, if not all, of them closed their remarks with something along these lines, "And I hope to one day be just like her."

One of her best friends spoke and she said the same thing.

What a wonderful tribute!

And it got me thinking--what a great idea. Find a Joy Model.

Someone (or preferably multiple someones) you know who seems to have high levels of joy. And emulate them.

My grandma is definitely one of my joy models, as I'm sure you could guess. Another one is actually my former self. From about 16-19, I was one of the happiest people I knew. It's not like I had it all figured out back then, but I did pretty well in the joy category. I spent a lot of my time listening to and trying to help others--something that has always brought me joy, but sometimes I think I'm too busy now. And I was pretty laid back and mellow. Not so much these days. So, I'm trying to be more like my teenage self, in that sense.

What about you? Who are your joy models? Why? What do you admire most about them? What is it about the way they live their life that makes them a model for you?

If you don't have someone--go out and find them this week! And please share!

5 comments:

Melissa said...

One of my Joy Models is my friend April. She has problems in her life--but she balances them so well. She exercises, enjoys the outdoors, celebrates friendships and family. She is somebody I have strived to model myself after professionally--but she is a great model for joy as well.
Thanks for the post. You've made me think...

spemberly.blogspot.com said...

I think that's a great idea, to have a joy model. I think I would agree with you on the fact that I seemed happier as a teenager. I think it's the fact that we had no responsibilities back then!

Christy said...

What a good idea. Thanks for sharing. :)

Becky said...

Do they still have Joy School? That's the preschool co-op we did with our youngest, and I still think of it every time I hear the word joy. I would think my joy models would be little children. They just always seem to be so happy! Maybe that's why the scriptures tell us to become as chidlren.

Melanie said...

My youngest son. He is a ball of joy all the time. He finds joy in everything great and small. From him I have learned that you can heal any heart by getting so excited when someone comes through the door. I have learned to savor every bite of my food as he does and that the word "mmmmm" is such a joyous compliment. I have learned to giggle and giggle and giggle some more...it feels good. I have learned that there is more joy in simple household objects than meets the eye. I have learned to giggle and smile longer. I have learned that when you fall down, even though it hurts, you get up and begin again...and that if you focus on your father and mother's voice you can move forward and get that hug you want. I have learned that even though we can't control everything in our lives there that one smile from daddy makes it all better. So would argue his joy is out of innocence. I think his joy comes from his natural ability to love unconditionally...and in that is the greatest lesson. To be blessed with charity. I am amazed everyday not just by my toddler but by all my kiddos. I am grateful to be learning so much. What a daily gift.