Sunday, September 5, 2010

Day 218: Grandma's Magic

Today's Joyful Moment was watching my grandma put my baby to sleep and then my little sister's baby to sleep. Just by sitting there watching over them lovingly.

Let me explain. Baby B is a great baby, but he struggles to fall asleep while being held. He much prefers being in his own bed to fall asleep. When we're out and I have to get him to sleep while holding him, it is a long struggle of bouncing, and pacing, and changing positions, and whatnot until he finally gives in a conks out.

My grandma just sat there holding him and he peacefully and effortlessly drifted off to la-la land right then and there.

His tiny cousin is also a great baby, but a bit colicky and he struggles to fall asleep as well. Not only did he effortlessly drift off to the Land of Nod while simply laying in his great-grandmother's lap, he became so unbelievably relaxed he was all sprawled out with his mouth wide open. And completely dead to the world.

Did I mention that my grandma didn't have to do anything more than sit there with the both of them? She has a magic touch. I'm telling you.

But the most Joyful part of that Joyful Moment was watching the way she looked at these great-grandsons of hers with love and wonder. Those of you who know my grandma will understand this best, but it was a very tender moment for me. And I'm very grateful for it.

Wishing you all Joyful Moments involve effortless, deep, peaceful sleep!

2 comments:

Meg said...

ditto! :) oh and hanging out with you was also very joyful. :D

Linda said...

Ditto!