Sunday, December 18, 2011

Day 684: The Life of Jesus Christ

For those not familiar with my faith, we do Sunday sermons a little differently.  About a week in advance, 2-4 members of the congregation are asked to prepare a talk on a given topic for the following Sunday.  Due to some unusual circumstances, I was actually asked to speak last Sunday, but my talk was postponed until today.

And "The Life of Jesus Christ" was my assigned topic.  I found this a little overwhelming because how do you sum up the life of the Savior in 10-15 minutes?  Fortunately, I had some help in the form of spiritual promptings from the Holy Ghost.  And I felt that I should just share three of my favorite parts of His life.

I'm not going to give you the whole talk.  Just the outline.

First, I share the account found in St. John Chapter 13, of the Savior washing his disciples feet.  And I talked about how the Savior's entire life exemplified for us the necessity of serving our fellowman.

Second, was the passage in Mark 9, where the father brings his son to be healed of an evil spirit.  Jesus Christ asks if he believes and he replies, "Lord, I believe.  Help Thou mine unbelief."  And then I talked about faith and doubt and how it is Jesus Christ who helps our faith to grow and become perfect.

And lastly, I talked about the Atonement.  I know that Jesus Christ suffered for not only our sins, but for our sorrows and trials as well.  So many people I know and love are going through very difficult heartbreak right now.  I know that Jesus Christ is the only One who can offer them the solace and comfort they need at this time.  I am grateful that though I can do little more than pray for each of them, they have Jesus Christ to love and bolster them up right now.  As Isaiah teaches in chapter 53, "With his stripes we are healed".  Words cannot express how grateful I am for this truth.  I know that there is no hurt He cannot heal.

So, while my heart is filled with sorrow at the different losses some of the people I love are currently experiencing, it is also filled with gratitude and love for the life of Jesus Christ.  For the sacrifice He made so that he can heal each of their hearts.

And in that knowledge lies tonight's Joyful Moment.

Wishing you all Joyful Moments and a happy heart!

5 comments:

Ashley and Drue said...

Your talk was beautiful and I didn't get the chance to let you know how much I loved it. You have such a strong testimony and it shines to me as an example. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and feelings. Your last scripture, the one in Isaiah is my co-favorite in the whole scriptures. Thank you for sharing that one:) I love you dearly, sweet friend.

Meg said...

Cheryl, this is definitely my JM today, which I was thinking was going to be hard to come by. I'm so glad I turned on my computer and read this. :) Thank you.

Yesterday my JM was hosting Greg and Sally and having an absolute blast playing games. It's so awesome that he's married so we can be good friends again! Weird, but true!

Cheryl said...

Ashley--Thank you! And right back at you, dear friend!

Meg--Reading your comment gave me a Joyful Moment today. I love you.
And I'm a little jealous I still haven't met Sally yet! But I totally know what you mean about being able to be friends again. (c:

Linda said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and your testimony.

My JM's were abundant - we delivered apple jelly to 30+ neighbors, relatives, and old friends and visiting with each was a true JM.

Cheryl said...

Yum!