Monday, April 9, 2012

Day 816: I Love To See The Temple

I mentioned yesterday that we were going to Kansas City to see a new temple.  After a temple is built for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, it is open to the public for a few weeks before being dedicated to the Lord.  After this dedication, only baptized members over the age of 12 possessing a card known as a "recommend" can enter the temple to participate in service and to receive instruction.  A recommend is obtained by abiding by specific standards (i.e. paying tithing and obeying the laws of whatever country you live) and keeping the Commandments.

Our children have been to the outside of a few temples and about a month ago asked if they could ever go inside.  So, I was ecstatic when I found out about the new Kansas City Temple.  A bit of a drive, but totally worth it to share something so special with my children.

Sweet P and Little M were so quiet and reverent the entire time we were touring the beautiful interior.  They listened to what our guide said and were respectful of all the beautiful furniture and decor.  I am convinced that it was the spirit of the place that affected them so.

Baby B, on the other hand, had had a very very very rough night of sleep thanks to a horrible cough and a beginning fever.  He was clearly not feeling well and was crabby.  All things considered though, he did pretty well throughout the tour.

We can't take pictures inside, but I took several outside.  This was my favorite.  I would have loved to have Baby B in it as well, but he wasn't having any of that.

It was a little bright, but here's our latest family picture!

The morning was definitely a Joyful Moment.  I just can't express how thrilled I was to share this with my children and how wonderfully they responded.

We spent the rest of the day at the Kansas City Zoo (after getting changed back at the hotel, of course).  There were many Joyful Moments to be had there, as well, but they were all kind of dampened by Baby B's rapidly deteriorating condition.  His fever rose and rose and his breaths were becoming more and more difficult.  It was definitely worrisome and I was quite grateful when we finally headed home.

We were a little shocked when we got home to be greeted by an anxious Z.  Some friends were letting her in and out of the kennel at night and in the morning and apparently had misunderstood that she was supposed to be let all the way outside that morning!  So, she had spent the entire day locked inside our house without access to food, water, or (ahem) acceptable facilities.

I felt bad for her, but it was a Joyful Moment to walk through the house and discover that she had behaved herself 100%.  No accidents and no destruction.  We were quite relieved.

So was she.

Wishing you all Joyful Moments in beautiful places!


Linda said...

This reminded me of going throught the Albuquerque Temple open house with you and some of your siblings. These feelings only get better, when you take them to the temple again.

My JM was that your big bro and his fam decided to stay an extra day - a bonus on top of a bonus!

Cheryl said...

Yes. I told the kids about our experience helping with that open house, as well. And that I got to help put on the silly shoes. They were excited about that. (c: