Thursday, April 12, 2012

Day 819: Greaner Cleaner


I spelled that wrong on purpose.

Just for fun.

Wasn't it fun?

Tonight was the second activity I was in charge of for Relief Society (the women, ages 18 and up in my congregation at church).  I had a lot more input in this one and it was WAAAAAAAAAAAAY less stressful.

It was an evening about homemade cleaners.

Another woman had volunteered that she would like to teach how to make homemade laundry detergent. So, she taught that in the kitchen, while I taught some other household cleaning stuff in the adjacent room.

And, for the most part, it was just a fun evening.  I got to share the information I've gathered over the past year, or two and I learned a bit more from what other people knew, as well.  Joyful Moment.  And hopefully, a little more "green" in the lives of those around me.

Here are the recipes, if you're interested:

*Although, here's a little disclaimer.  The first three recipes are from the other lady who taught.  Super cool and amazingly talented woman.  However, I differ a bit with her.  I used to use Fels Naptha until I did a little research and learned that it has a skin irritant warning on the label and that it has chemicals that pollute water sources.  Now I use a goats milk soap laundry bar.

Laundry Soap recipe

1 grated bar of Fels Naptha (my favorite or you can use any other kind of bar soap)
1 cup borax
1 1/2 cups of Super Washing Soda (I add the extra half a cup only because I have really hard water)
5 gallon bucket

In a pot half full of water...heat up & add the grated soap. Stir until all melted...this can take take a little while.

In 5 gallon bucket add the powders and fill half way with hot water..STIR

When the soap is all melted, pour into bucket. Fill the rest of the way with hot water and STIR.

Let sit overnight....mix and your ready. But this is super concentrated! You can do half water and half soap. So your 5 gallons is actually 10 gallons of soap. 

Use 1/4 cup per load. Pesky stains just add right to stain and rub, let sit for a bit and then wash. I try to leave at least a gallon undiluted for this reason.
I use a Downy ball filled to the line with vinegar for the rinse. 

Dishwasher Soap

1 Box Borax
1 Box Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda
24 packages of unsweetened lemonade drinking mix, like Kool-aid (sounds crazy but it works) Or a bottle of Citric Acid from the canning section
3 cups Epsom salt 
use vinegar for a rinse aid

Mix everything together and use just 1 Tbsp per load.

Baby Wipes

1 Roll of Select a size paper towels. (the nicer the paper towels the nicer the wipes...think thickness)
2 - 2 1/2 cups very warm water (depends on how wet you like your wipes)
1 1/2 t  baby oil. (pick up from the sample section)
1 1/2 t baby wash (pick up from the sample section)
2 containers big enough to hold the wipes WITH A LID

Cut your paper towels in half...so you have two half rolls..it will look like tp now (put one aside for next time)
in your container add the water...2 cups water and all the other ingredients...then put your paper towels cut side down
Invert the container after a min to make sure the wipe solution reaches the top of your wipes.
after at least 5 minutes turn them over and pull out the brown center...put in the trash...now start pulling your wipes from the center. 
Enjoy!

All-Purpose Cleaning Spray

Mix one part vinegar and one part water in a spray bottle.  Add a few drops of various essential oils (lavender, melaleuca, and lemon are my favorites).  Good on glass, counter tops, toilets, walls, etc.  Don't use on marble.

Toilet Bowl Cleaner

Pour a bucket of water to make the toilet drain automatically w/out refilling.  Sprinkle baking soda generously.  Pour in a cup, or so, of vinegar.  Let fizz for several minutes (for stains leave on 2 hours, or overnight), then scrub with toilet brush.

Wood Cleaner/Polish

Combine two parts lemon juice and 1 part olive oil.  Pour a small amount on a clean rag and polish finished wood surfaces.

Fabric Softener

Add 1/2 C. baking soda or 1/4 C. vinegar during the rinse cycle.  Or just use the homemade laundry detergent when washing and be sure to shake each clothing article (to get it unpadded) before tossing it into the dryer.  I found that I don't need to do anything else to make my clothes soft and static-free.

Clogged Drains

Pour 1/2 C. baking soda down drain.  Add 1/2 C. vinegar and 1/2 C. salt.  Let sit 15 minutes.  It will bubble and gurgle.  Pour hot water down drain while covering face with hand for protection.

My Favorites

Vinegar--Disinfectant and deodorizer.  Its smell disappears when it dries.

Lemon--Antibacterial and smells fabulous!

Baking Soda--Non-abrasive cleanser and deodorizer.

Essential Oils--Antibacterial, Antiviral, and some are also antifungal.  They smell wonderful.  You can find them many places including Hobby Lobby,  or http://www.doterra.com/us.

Wishing you all clean and green Joyful Moments!

1 comment:

Linda said...

That's an impressive list.

I woke up with accute pain today - The kind I'm trying to eliminate from my life. The kind I've been trying to avoid by completely changing my diet for 7+ weeks now. Looks like I don't have as much control over it as I'd like. So my JM came when the medicine finally kicked in.