Friday, June 4, 2010

Day 127: Recognition

Today's Joyful Moment came this evening. I was sitting on the couch having just finished Sweet P's violin practice. She and Little M went outside to help HH in the yard, so it was just me and Baby B.

He started out looking at me, which is always a Joyful Moment, but then he became fixated on the picture on the wall above my head. And then he smiled at it. Smiles are still a rare occasion with him, but this is the second time he's smiled at that picture. I don't believe that's a coincidence.

It's a painting of Jesus Christ. And I believe Baby B smiled because he remembers where he came from and he remembers Him. And seeing that recognition from someone so seemingly helpless in every way brought me joy. I wonder what he would tell me if he knew how to talk. I believe that all babies remember living with Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ, but since they can't talk about it, this memory fades.

This is just my own personal belief and theory--not doctrine, by any means. But I am fairly confident that my infant knows that he is my baby and also that he is a child of God. What greater joy could a mother have than for her child to know who he is? Now it's up to me to make sure he always knows that, even as he forgets where he came from.

Wishing you all Joyful Moments in sharing in something divine.

1 comment:

Linda said...

We received phone calls from our daughters today - each bringing joy in their own way:

Meg - looks like her baby is going to be born a month early, and we're on our way to where she lives!

Amy - her baby is a boy! Just what they wanted.

Cheryl - making plans for our visit...

Needless to say, it was a very joyful day!