Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Day 145: VT-ing

That doesn't stand for "Vermonting".

The Church of Jesus Christ has a system for looking after each member. Each family is assigned two men as their "home teachers". They are responsible for knowing the needs and well-being of the families in their stewardship and also for sharing a specific message from our church leaders each month with each of these families. Each woman over the age of 18 is assigned two women to be her "visiting teachers". These women have a similar responsibility of being taking care of the women in their stewardship. We call it "visiting teaching", or sometimes, "VT-ing". Clever, I know.

It's a really important responsibility because our church has millions of members, so it would be impossible for the leaders to take care of each and every member. And it's a great way to serve and be served. It is clearly a divinely inspired plan. But of course, since it is carried out by mere mortals, things don't always go the way they should.

One of the women that I am supposed to visit has been difficult to coordinate with and then I and the other woman I'm supposed to do the visits with both had babies. So, we've never made it to visit this one woman. Well, finally tonight we made it. I've said 'hi' to her in passing while at church, but this was my first time really talking to her. And I discovered that she is not at all the way I thought she was. She was very friendly and welcoming, and for some reason I always thought she didn't want us to come. So, it was really my Joyful Moment getting to know her tonight. She's a really cool person. She's re-doing the interior of her house by herself and I am totally amazed.

Wishing you all Joyful Moments CT-ing (Connecting (kind of like Connecticutting?))!

1 comment:

Linda said...

We may have found our future home today - after 2 weeks of looking and 10 months of not living in our own home - That would be really really joyful.