Sunday, January 13, 2013

Day 1094: Well, I Stayed Conscious

Did I tell you that they asked me to be the chorister at church?

Did I tell you this is something I've always struggled with?  I know it should be easy, given my many years of musical experience.

It's not.

I get going okay, and then all of the sudden, my  hand just throws in a random extra wave, or something and I get totally off.

But, I agreed to it and I've practiced.  Today was my first time actually conducting in front of the congregation.

You should know that I slept in Darling A's room last night.  HH is getting quite sick and since he has to go to work tomorrow and all, I decided to just take one for the team (before you think I was super kind and giving, I already couldn't sleep because I couldn't breathe, so it just made sense), so he could hopefully get more sleep.  Long story short--I got little bits of sleep in 5-15 minute increments, interspersed between long patches of no sleep.  I was pretty dizzy and tired all morning, but obstinate.

So, I got up to conduct.  I think the first song went reasonable well.  During the Sacrament hymn, however, it was all I could do to not black out.  Literally.  Everything started to fade from my vision and my knees buckled a time, or two.  I almost took the entire music stand down with me one of the times, but was able to correct before anyone (at least anyone I spoke to after) noticed.  I think I was really off on the timing, too.  But, when you can't see and you can barely keep breathing, that's understandable, in my opinion.  The third song went okay, but then I was pretty woozy during the closing hymn as well.

Good start.  At least I can only improve from here, right?

The rest of the day went okay.  I got in a little nap.  It's such a fortunate thing that my parents are here because HH was pretty much past out for half of the day.  It appears that sleep is what you really need to conquer this beast of a flu, though, so I don't begrudge him a single wink.

This isn't how I imagined my parents' visit going.

I suppose that's how most of life is, though, isn't?  Our task is just to enjoy things along the way as much as we can anyway.

Some days I do better at this than others.  Sleep helps a lot with that Beast, too. (c:

No comments: