Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Day 166: Bread

Just so we're totally clear--HH is more than capable of changing his own tire. The one last night was rusted onto the lugs, that is why he require assistance and it took them so long.

And I just kept thinking how grateful I was that he happened to park at the end of the driveway of a kind couple that were home and that were willing to help. And knew how to help. And so grateful that they weren't sociopaths or any other kind of freaks.

So, I did what I do when I want to say "thanks". I baked them a loaf of bread. Honey Oat Wheat Bread. Mmmm... HH felt a little awkward about this, so the kids and I drove up to meet him at the Good Samaritans' home on his way home from work with the freshly made loaf. I never met the wife, but Robert visited with us for quite a while and seemed genuinely pleased with our small offering of gratitude. He invited us to come back and visit any time and was just an all-around kind person, exuding optimism.

Afterward HH agreed that it was a good idea and he was glad we did it. Dare I say, we shared our Joyful Moment today in giving that loaf of bread and expressing our appreciation for this man's unsolicited act of service? I think I do. Wonderful how saying 'thanks' always feels so good and almost always results in a Joyful Moment.

Wishing you all Joyful Moments accompanied by the wonderful smell of freshly baked bread!

2 comments:

Melanie said...

I always laugh at these nonsense comments that sometimes appear out of no where...I get them on my chorister blog too.

Anyhow, I'm proud of you guys for doing that. It is always good to be thankful and what a great example to your kids.

Linda said...

I agree w/ Mel. Great example and our examples are our most effective teaching method.

JOY today for me was miraculously finding a reasonable airfare for Dad to come to the reunion.