Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Day 583: A Case For Blue Jell-O

We had company for dinner again.

This time it was a woman HH introduced me to on Sunday.  She's Jewish, but is sort of investigating our faith right now.  I briefly spoke with her between classes, when HH told me he'd invited her to dinner, and she informed me that she was on a special diet and couldn't eat cheese.

So, I formulated a menu all around this "diet" that I wasn't very sure of.  I decided to lean towards healthy foods just in case it was that kind of diet, and because people usually appreciate healthy.  Turns out, it's not that kind of a diet.  There are just certain foods she can't eat.

And given that "cheese" was the only one she told me about, I did really really well on the menu.  The only item I served that she couldn't eat were the tomatoes in the salad.

But the interesting thing is that the dessert I decided to make was a trifle of sorts, but it called for raspberries, raspberry Jell-O, and raspberry yogurt.  When I was at the store I was feeling a bit indecisive and decided to pick up blueberries and strawberries.  I guess I just wasn't in the mood for raspberries.  Anyway, I ended up making it with blueberries, berry blue Jell-O, and blueberry yogurt.  All along, I kept telling myself the blue Jell-O would look awful.

And it did.

But, come to find out, she can't eat any red fruits.

Ka-Zam!

I knew I made a good choice!

And even though it didn't look as pretty as the red would have, it still tasted good.  She even had seconds.

And it was all a Joyful Moment for me.

But I also need to mention the wonderful discussion we got into after dinner about God, the eternal nature of family, and faith.  As HH put it, having that kind of a discussion always leaves you feeling closer to God.

Which is the best kind of Joyful Moment.

Wishing you all Joyful Moments with good choices and good feelings!

2 comments:

Linda said...

How cool!

My day was full - subbing in the temple then rushing to an activity with the 10 & 11 year old girls, and finishing up with a cake decorating class with Meg and her sis-in-law. It was busy, but oh so fun!

Cheryl said...

I'm excited to see your cake skills!