Saturday, September 10, 2011

Day 587: AWEsome

Yesterday, as I sliced the last cucumber from our garden for Little M to munch on, I was a little sad because I never got to make more pickles.

And then I went to the garden to check on our one tomato still growing, and it's a long story, but I wound up coming back inside with this:


So, you can bet your bottom dollar I made me some pickles today.  Just to give you an idea of their size, that tomato is an average-sized tomato.  One and a half of those cucumber bad boys gave me four jars of pickles.  What?!  Yeah.  And it was a Joyful Moment.


But not as much as watch Little M at his first soccer clinic.  Look at their tiny little shin guards!  WAY to cute.  Joyful Moment, for real.


And then there was this.

Almost two weeks ago, I caught two LARGE caterpillars eating up my carrot tops in my garden.  So, I brought them in and plopped them in a jar for the kids to see.  And boy did those caterpillars eat!  But only for a couple days.  Because then they made their chrysalises (chrysali?) and went about napping and transforming.

And then this beauty unfolded today.  I was grateful for the flowers I received earlier in the week, so he had something pretty to sit on for a little while.  Then he flew off prematurely and I thought he was going to die, lost in our house, but we located him and set him free.

And all was right in the world.

Honestly, I think I may have been more excited about this whole process than the kids.  I've never successfully hatched a butterfly before and it was really amazing and interesting to watch.  And the other one is still sleeping and transforming, so we get to do it again!

In case you haven't guessed, that was all a Joyful Moment.

Wishing you all beautiful Joyful Moments of transformation!

3 comments:

Linda said...

I didn't know you could do that! WOW!!! What a great experience!

We climbed to Emerald Lake on the back of Mt Timp and down again. We saw so many meadows, full of so many gorgeous wildflowers. We saw so many waterfalls. It was absolutely wonderful and full of joyful moments. But my final joy was sitting down in our car, and removing my shoes. That's when the pain in both knees and both feet (4 blisters in all) stopped. And my HH is talking about hiking the Grand Canyon the end of October. :)

Cheryl said...

Ice. Lots and lots of ice. That's a tough hike--I'm proud of you two!

Nikki said...

All of this IS SO COOL! I love your garden. Home pickled cucumbers are delicious.