Thursday, September 29, 2011

Day 606: Developing Empathy

My friend left today.  I still can't express just how much it meant to me to have her here.  Thanks again for stopping by, Friend!

It seems that now that normal life has resumed, my funk has come back with it.

I may, or may not, have had a bit of a melt down sitting on the laundry room floor late this afternoon.  Baby B came and slid the door open and peered at me quizzically.  Then, he proceeded to climb into my lap with arms open wide, wrap them tightly around me, and rest his head on my shoulder.  When my tears didn't immediately subside, he sat back and looked up at me again.  Then he opened his arms up again and resumed his huggy-snuggle.  And he just stayed there for a while.

I've never had a child understand someone else's tears at that young age.  But, even though he seemed confused at my distress, he knew just what I needed.  It was one of the sweetest things.  And, in spite of my emotions, it was my Joyful Moment for today.

Wishing you all sweet Joyful Moments and melt-down free afternoons!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was so sweet! I hope you are doing ok...

My 6 year old son do the same thing, lots of hugs with lots of pats on my back and He goes "It's okay mommy, I love you".

Cheryl said...

Tadoette--Thanks again for stopping by! Aren't little boys so sweet?!

Linda said...

I'm sorry you've been down. I haven't been keeping up, ... looks I'm a day off on my comments - sorry! This is the day that your big sis came and the next day I got to play with her 3 oldest kids for several hours while mommy & daddy & baby were at the Dr. We had a lot of fun.

Cheryl said...

Mom--Thanks. I love you.