Monday, September 19, 2011

Day 596: Cancellations Make Me Cry

Today was another stinky one.

To begin with, I've been struggling with some bad news I received a few days ago.  But I got all pumped up to do some half-mile sprints this morning in preparation for Saturday's triathlon.  I needed to find out if I could push my speed in my Vibram Five Fingers, or if I should wear my regular sneakers.

But after each sprint, this pain in my foot grew progressively worse.  And by the end it was feeling kind of fractured-y.  And it's not really doing any better now.

Then, after mowing the lawn and getting the boys fed and down for a nap and showering, I came to check my email, only to discover that my race had been CANCELLED!  Not cool.  Yes, I cried a little.

I tried (again) to find a race in my area, but pretty much came up with nothing that would work.

I moped about for a couple hours, trying to not be as sad as I was.  And then I came across my list of things to do and I remembered a few different service project ideas I've had over the past few months.  And I decided to take the time and effort I would have put into preparing for a race and put it into service projects.  And that was my Joyful Moment.

So, life is okay.

Wishing you all Joyful Moments that make you happy when you're trying to not be sad!

4 comments:

Meg said...

I'm so impressed. I had a similarly blah day, but didn't really over come it. How do you do it?!

Nikki said...

Awe, Cheryl, that is a bummer. That was a creative idea to convert your time and effort to do service for others. I hope your foot feels better.

Linda said...

Your blog title reminded me of an old Carpenters' tune - "Rainy Days and Mondays"[Always Get Me Down]. How wonderful that all Mondays aren't like the one you just had. I had that kind of day yesterday, and successfully turned things around toda. It sounds like you made your sad day much better already, which is GREAT!

My joy was having your brother arrive safely from Saudi Arabia late this evening and the anticipation of 5 days with him.

Cheryl said...

Meg, Nikkin, and Mom--
Thank you all for your words of encouragement and support! I really appreciate how supportive you always are!