Sunday, September 2, 2012

Day 990: Blessed Day

Today was Darling A's blessing day.

In the church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, we don't baptize our kids until they're 8 years old.  So, the closest thing we have to a Christening is called giving the child a name and a blessing.

I was sad because for the first time, none of our extended family was able to make it.  For this reason, we thought about doing it last month while we were out visiting.  However, I had a really strong feeling that we were supposed to do it here at the North Pole and invite all of our friends to come.

So, we did.

Only a handful of our friends from other faiths turned out.  And most of those mainly came to support the other baby being blessed on that same day--one of my favorite friend's darling little girl.  But, one came just for us.

Not to mention, all of my fabulous friends who are members of our faith.  Thanks for coming guys!

Plus, while saying my morning prayer, I felt very strongly that my grandma (for whom Darling A is named) would absolutely be present in spirit.  This makes me tear up a bit even now.  I miss and love my grandma so much!

Interesting story with my friend who came.  She only said, "maybe", so I wasn't really expecting her.  Another friend said she and her family would for sure be there, so when she wasn't and the meeting started, I went out in the foyer to see if she was just unsure of where to come in.  She wasn't there.  And I mentioned in passing to another friend that I was just looking for my friend.

Then HH gave Darling A her blessing and it was beautiful and wonderful and a fabulous Joyful Moment.  But, I did feel a tinge of sadness and was wondering why I felt so strongly to do it here instead of with family.  Then, my other friend came in and told me that my friend was out there looking for the us and the blessing.  So, I went out expecting the friend who'd guaranteed she'd come and was surprised to see my friend who'd been a "maybe".  (Are you following all of the different friends, here?).

Anyway, I thanked her for coming, broke the sad news that the blessing was over, but invited her to come in and sit with us.  And she did.  My faith is such a huge part of my life and my happiness, so it was a Joyful Moment to be able to share this with her in a small way.  I even got to share my testimony, since it was Fast and Testimony meeting.

The rest of church went well.  Everyone came up to admire our sweet little baby and after church we got to go to a little celebration in honor of Sweet P and my friend's baby who was also blessed.  My friend was so sweet to include us in this and that was a Joyful Moment for us all.  We got to visit with our friends some more, meet her family, and eat lots of yummy treats!

Speaking of treats, I tried out a new cookie bar recipe (with my own little twist) and brought that to share.  As I cut into it at the party, I discovered that the middle was quite doughy.  I was so sad, as I knew no one would eat it now.

So, I was pleasantly surprised when people kept coming up and asking who made it and also to see how quickly it disappeared--middle first, actually!  And, if you know me, you know how much I love food and how much I love making food and how much I love being complimented on the food I've made, so you know this was a big Joyful Moment for me.


Here's a little family photo we took after the blessing.  A miracle just to get everyone to sit still and look at the camera!  Fortunately, Baby B was quite intrigued by the self timer setting and this was the most cooperative he's been for the camera in months!

The rest of the day was nice and relaxed.  Knowing that tomorrow is a holiday and HH will be home is a Joyful Moment every time I think of it.

Wishing you all Joyful Moments and friends great enough to fill in for family when needed!

2 comments:

Linda said...

We thought about your special day throughout the week and wondered if we could figure out a way to be there. Unfortunately, it wasn't meant to be. So I'm grateful that you had friends come, just as you'd hoped and prayed for. The photo reminds me of our family on the day you were blessed. It sounds like it was a sweet day for all of you.

My JM is that the lesson I taught in RS went well. I felt the Spirit and had lots of participation. whew!

Cheryl said...

That makes me happy to know that you guys even tried. That would have been awesome, but we understand.

Wishing I could have been there for the lesson!