Saturday, December 1, 2012

Day 1056: Musicians

It's recital time again!

We had the studio recital today.  It was very enjoyable.  Made all the more so by our sweet neighbors who showed up to support the kids and totally made their day.  They even gave Sweet P a rose.  We have great neighbors.


Love this dapper man and his style!


My pretty princess and her awesome instructor that she totally looks up to and admires!

In the past, I've gotten really caught up in them playing these pieces perfectly, and felt disappointed when they didn't.  But today (with more than a little help from their awesome instructor), I was able to just enjoy the experience with them and to focus on the things they did do REALLY well (i.e. keeping eyes on the violin the whole time, or fantastic bow circles) and just to hopefully, help boost their confidence and their desire to continue playing.

And I felt good about that.

Earlier in the day, we got to wish HH's mom a happy birthday and then set up to do "Face Time" on HH's new iphone with her during the recital.  So, she got to watch it live and that was pretty cool.  It makes me sad that we're out here on our own and our families (my kids included) miss out on those kinds of things.

After a quick dinner at home, we left the kids with a sitter (first time for Darling A with a teenage baby sitter!) and went to a friend's home to listen to her perform an hour's worth of beautiful Christmas songs on the piano.  And I got to sit next to HH and hold his hand the whole time.  It's now been 10 years that we've been holding hands, but I still love it!

She's very talented, so it was beautiful and it brought together people from various aspects of her life, so I was able to get to know a woman I had only briefly met about a year ago, but who has been a bit of an inspiration to me since (she's a mom of teenagers and recently completed a half Ironman) and she actually was surprised when I said something about being a stay-at-home mom because she said I didn't look old enough to have kids.  Her jaw dropped when she asked how many and I responded with, "Four."  I'm not going to lie--that was kind of nice to hear.

No comments: