Saturday, May 5, 2012

Day 841: Fun Run

Every year the city does a couple little races for elementary age children.  Last year Sweet P asked her daddy to accompany her on both and at the time, requested that I run with her this year.

I was a little nervous that I wouldn't be able to keep up because my pace has slowed drastically, but she's been running 10 minute miles in practice and that I can do.


Here we are pre-race.   Can you even recognize Sweet P?  My little girl who hasn't let me touch her hair in a couple of years has suddenly fallen in love with the pony tail and asks for it every day.  So cute.

We had to run with the 3rd and 4th grade boys because she really wanted to attend the baptism of a good friend later that morning.

This was a delight to me because I was already concerned about how much a pregnant lady would stick out.  Running with a bunch of boys was just icing on the cake.

Sweet P was a little nervous about it, too because they were all older.

So, at the start of the race she took off!  I was worried for a bit because we hadn't talked about what to do in the event of being separated and I didn't know how I could maintain the pace she was going (slightly more than 8 minutes per mile--I had my lovely Garmin to help me keep track of the distance and pace).  But my motherly worry kicked in and I was able to just run faster until she slowed her pace a bit and then it wasn't bad.

We ended up finishing at 9:03.  A whole minute less than her usual pace!  I was pretty proud of her.  And doing this together was definitely a Joyful Moment.  And one I really needed in a weekend quite sparse of Joyful Moments.

We cut it pretty close in making it to the friend's baptism on time, but just made it.  And that was a Joyful Moment to support her in making such a big and wonderful decision.  Plus, Sweet P is less than a year away from her own baptism, so I was happy to have her there.

Then we had more craziness at home until it was time for me to head to a friend's baby shower.  I hadn't had time to sit down and eat lunch, or even get a drink since we'd left the house early this morning, so the shower with a nacho bar and lots of good friends was a much needed break and Joyful Moment for me.  And on the way there I made a quick phone call to my mom and surprised myself by completely breaking down.  But getting some motherly love and advice was a Joyful Moment and helped me to put on a smile for all of those friends.  And it was a note to myself that I would be able to pull out of this most recent slump because making that phone call went against everything my depression was making me feel.

Then it was hurry home and head off to the temple.  Which (in keeping with today's theme) we barely made it to on time, but we made it.  And even though I was in about the worst mood ever and therefore did not get as much out of it as usual, it was good to make another step in the right direction.

So, long, hectic, crazy day.  It was full of great things and should have been a wonderful day.  But it wasn't.

Fortunately, there were still a few Joyful Moments that were just gifts on a day like this.

Wishing you all Joyful Moments when you need them most!

3 comments:

Linda said...

I love you. Thanks for doing what you did. What a day you had! Your call was true JM for me. See you soon!

Amy said...

I hope tomorrow isn't such a close call! Good for you for running in a race iwth your daughter while you're pregnant! MY JM was getting to chat with a neighbor who is moving soon.

Cheryl said...

Mom--Thanks.

Amy--Thank you! It was fun.