Friday, May 11, 2012

Day 847: Moms, Daughters, and Ice Cream

I typed up a post yesterday.  But it ended up being so painful and raw, I couldn't finish it.  I may publish it some day down the road, but right now it is much too personal and close to home.  I try to be honest and open here, but I do have some limits, I guess.

But, in an effort to avoid yet another in a series of truly horrible days, I vowed to keep my interaction with the kids positive today--no matter what they did or said.  That doesn't mean I gave into their every whim, or let them get away with inappropriate behavior.  I just tried to focus on compliments and keep the discipline brief and impersonal.

And today went much better.

Plus, I was able to finally finish up the items I've been crafting for my mom and mother-in-law for Mother's Day and made some great progress on a project for a friend.  Always a Joyful Moment.

Tonight we had another activity for the women in my church congregation.  Only, this time we decided to invite the daughters along, too.  There just so happened to be a Fathers and Sons camp out going on this evening as well.

So, we got the boys all packed up and on their way and then Sweet P and I headed to dinner.  She received a free meal from Applebee's for doing her last race and that was where she wanted to go.  It was fun hanging out and dining just the two of us.  We had some nice chats.  Turns out, no one really wants to play with those bossy girls in her class any more, so she's happy to have her old friends back again.

Then we headed over to set up for the Ice Cream Social event.  Another mom was in charge of the decorations and she made it look absolutely adorable.  We had a photo booth, complete with dress ups, a craft table to decorate a frame to put the photos in, and a letter-writing table to write a note to a mom or friend.

And, of course, we had an ice cream table.  With toppings.

We had the best turnout we've had so far and everyone seemed to have a truly wonderful time.  At the end, three moms in very different situations spoke in turn about their experiences, thoughts, and feelings on motherhood.  It was so perfect.

Joyful Moments the whole night through.

And on the way home, Sweet P and I stopped to pick up some yummies for breakfast.  She held my hand the whole time.

Tonight was very needed for us both, I think.

Wishing you all Joyful Moments that are just what you need.

3 comments:

Linda said...

It sounds like the two of you shared much more than an evening together. Your post touched me. Thanks!

Amy said...

So glad you got to have a night out with Sweet P. Sounds like she loved it. I love it when my kids hold my hand too, makes me sad for when they'll be too big to do that. sorry you're having hard times.

Cheryl said...

Mom--Yes, it was great!

Amy--Me, too. And I was thinking about what you posted about shopping w/just your daughter and it made me try extra hard to be attentive and make the most of it. So, thanks!