Monday, March 29, 2010

Day 61: Mary, Mary Quite Contrary

That's right! Tonight we planted our first ever garden!

Well, we planted starts in a little tray that is locked up in the basement under a special lamp. It's too cold for anything to survive outside yet. Plus, we haven't actually cut out a plot for our garden. Minor details.

Even though we don't really know what we're doing, I'm sure things would have gone more smoothly had HH and I just done it all by ourselves. But last year my sister shared some advice that my father had given her when they started their garden: "Remember, you're growing a family--not a garden." And then I saw how excited her kids were to eat the vegetables they grew and couldn't wait to have a similar experience with our kids.

So, I decided it would be a perfect activity for our family night. It was a little messy and chaotic and I'm pretty sure we have some carrot seeds mixed in with our tomato seeds, but it was Joyful Moment watching the kids get excited to help. I'm really looking forward to their excitement when the seedlings start to grow and they get more of an idea of what we're doing.

And I can't wait to eat fresh, homegrown veggies!!

Wishing you all Joyful Moments of growth!

3 comments:

Amy said...

Congrats on the garden! Looking forward to sharing in your spoils in July!!!

Meg said...

Exciting! My joyful moment was opening up Amy's email! :)

Linda said...

I loved reading your garden growing thoughts.

My joy was sailing on the Nile in Egypt.