Thursday, December 16, 2010

Day 320: Another Reason I Call Him "HH"

Handsome Hero.

When my HH walked in the door tonight, it was a Joyful Moment.  He's such a calming presence for me.  And I knew he would take care of something that I just couldn't bring myself to:  bathing the kids.

Normally, that's not a big deal.  I don't love doing it, but whatever, you know?  But today was not a normal day.  Sweet P came home and proudly showed me her well-bandaged thumb.  She told me that she had cut some skin off with the scissors and was now only allowed to use the blunt-tipped scissors at school.

Okay.  Not a big deal, I thought.

Fast forward to bath time.  She asked if she could remove her bandaids.  Sure, I said.  And then we began peeling them off, only to reveal copious amounts of blood--both dried and fresh.  And a large chunk of her thumb missing.  Gone.

And I got this pain in my legs that I get whenever I become aware of someone else's pain.  Especially, when that someone spent a significant amount of time in my womb.  The pain just kept shooting through my legs and I struggled not to vomit.  And Sweet P looked at me like I was a complete wacko.  I sent her to the tub and knew that I couldn't look at her until her thumb was bandaged again.

Now, I took a Sports Injury class in college.  We witnessed countless videos and photos of graphic, disgusting, horrifying injuries.  They didn't make my legs hurt.  They didn't make me want to vomit.  Instead, I viewed them with the thing we call "morbid fascination".

But none of those people spent time in my womb.

Anyway, so I let my children soak in the tub until HH came home and rescued me.  I asked him to please finish the bathing process and he headed off to do it immediately.  And he is my hero.

As if that wasn't enough, he helped Little M finish his dinner tonight.  We don't force our kids to clean their plates at every meal.  I don't want to teach them to over eat.  But, for the most part, I do require them to finish the food at some point.  I don't like it to be wasted.  This means that if Little M only ate the nuts off his Peanut Curry Pork with Rice dinner, he would have the remaining pork, vegetables, and rice for lunch tomorrow.  It's just how we operate around here.

Which means that I would have probably dealt with his whining and crying for quite sometime tomorrow.  This may sound extreme, but Little M is a very very very picky eater.  He even turns his nose up at mac n' cheese sometimes.  But HH helped him finish his dinner and now he can have something he'll hopefully like better for lunch tomorrow.

And now HH is upstairs cleaning the kitchen because my dry skin issues has resulted in cracked and bleeding hands.

So, I guess the real Joyful Moment today wasn't when HH walked in the door.  It's just in being so loved by someone so wonderful.

I love you, HH.

Wishing you all Joyful Moments in being so loved by someone so wonderful!

1 comment:

Linda said...

As I read your blog tears welled up in my eyes. I don't want things like that to happen to the people I love. I am praying it heals faster than you can believe.

This wasn't my most joyful day - it was filled with pain from an infection almost the entire day. But I was fortunate to be with your little sis much of the day and she did her best to keep my thoughts on other things. And I was blessed to receive a priesthood blessing from your dad when he got home. Tomorrow will be better, and that is a very joyful thought.