Thursday, May 12, 2011

Day 466: Streptosicklycoccus

So, I woke up Sunday feeling a little more unwell than usual, but I'm in a semi-sickly state the majority of the time, so I didn't worry about it too much.  Plus, HH did almost all of the cooking and clean up and childcare, so I was able to rest and recover a bit.

I've still been feeling slightly under the weather all week, but managing to excercise and be productive, for the most part.

Then, yesterday morning, I woke up with a sore throat.  Bummer.  But this happens, so I didn't let it slow me down.  Well, not too much anyway.  That night my friend/visiting teacher came over and we visited for a while.  She is a delightful person and I love talking to her.  And even in the course of a normal conversation, I feel like I almost always learn something about living better, or being a better mom from her.

After she left, I came downstairs to post here and upload Baby B's photos.  As I did so, it was like time fast forwarded and the kind of illness that you normally feel building over two or three days hit me like a semi.  I had a bad case of the aches, major muscle fatigue, and serious unwellness.  The disease progressed throughout the night and I spent most of it shivering with chills, or trying to break a wicked fever.  Which, is actually the only reason I've ventured out of bed right now.  Sitting up hurts, but my fever was way to hot for me to stay in bed.  Fortunately, my computer room in the basement is always a little frigid.

My sweet HH immediately offered to stay home when he saw how I was feeling last night and I realized I had no choice but to take him up on it when I woke up this morning.  He took care of getting the kids off to school, and even cleaned up, and helped with their violin practice before they left.  While I went to the doctor.  I never get fevers, so when I do, I know it's serious.

After cringing and shivering in the doctor's office for 45 minutes (and taking part in one of those fabulous throat cultures) he came back to tell me I have strep.  Lots of penicilin.  Lots of rest.  No exercise for two weeks!

I've tried to avoid Baby B since I'm still in the contageous stage, but since he's a total mama's boy, he's really been struggling with that.  HH was really great about dealing wtih his sadness, though.  I just finally caved and asked him to bring him to me for a bit.  I really hope I don't regret that, but it was my Joyful Moment.  He instantly calmed down and just snuggled in with me and lay there quite content for several minutes.  And I was reminded yet again, what a precious gift this darling baby is.

Now, if I can miraculously recover enough to clean both guest bathrooms, vacuum, dust, mow, and bake cinnamon rolls before HH's brother and friend arrive tomorrow night, well, then I'll have another fantastic Joyful Moment tomorrow.

Anyway, the fever is now exchanging places with the chills and my body is struggling to remain upright, so I'm going to close this cheerful (if a bit whiny) post and go back to bed.

Wishing you all Joyful Moments with only the good kind of fever!

1 comment:

Linda said...

This made me sad to read, even though I already knew you were sick. I'm so grateful your HH could stay home and help. He's such a great husband and dad.

My joy was probably the visit I had with Aunt Delsie. My HH was out of town overnight, so the idea came this morning to make cinamon rolls, the kind that the dough can sit for a day in the frig, and bake them this evening (since I was gone all day) to take with me. She was her always sweet self and took me on a tour of the planting she's been doing around her home. It was quite enJOYable!