Friday, March 23, 2012

Day 799: Special Day

That's what they call it at Little M's preschool when they celebrate a birthday.  The month of March was so packed with "special days" that Little M's didn't happen until today.


This was the most workable photo I got.

I brought in cupcakes.  They were so unfancy, I didn't even take a picture.  Chocolate cupcakes (from a box), green frosting (from a can), with a chocolate gold coin perched on top.  It was what he wanted.  And all that I had energy for.

And the kids apparently loved them.  Which begs the question, why do we moms put ourselves out to make elaborate cupcakes, Valentine's cards, etc?  I guess some do it because they enjoy it.  And sometimes I fit in that category.  But I'm also guilty of doing it because I don't want anyone to judge me for going the easy route (i.e. box cake and can frosting).

But I'm pregnant.

Judge that. (c:

Anyway, it was still fun doing something special for him.  And, of course, this time he loved them.  The funny thing is, he initially asked me to make rainbow cupcakes, just like his birthday cake.  Even though he told me one night while eating leftover cake, "It's even nastier tonight than it was last night!"

So, I intervened and refused.

Anyway, watching his joy in his special day was today's Joyful Moment.  And seeing the pride on his face and that of all of his classmates and teachers when I told them that the walk they'd taken was nearly two miles long.  It's the same route I go on my runs, so I'm pretty familiar with the distance breakdown along the way.

Pretty impressive for a bunch of preschoolers!

Wishing you all Joyful Moments that are significantly less nasty than anything experienced yesterday!

No comments: