Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Day 14: Sharing Someone Else's Joy

Every two weeks I write up a menu for the following two weeks and then go on one massive shopping trip to obtain all the necessary foods and ingredients to make all those meals. Then I only have to do one or two quick, minor trips in between to pick up perishables like milk and bananas.

This routine does not bring me joy, but it does reduce stress.

Except for the actual shopping trip. I do it at WalMart (I loathe going to WalMart) because that is the cheapest place around here. It takes between 1 and 2 hours depending on how much I need and how many children are with me and how many potty trips we have to make (I'm always informed of the need to "go" when we are at the farthest corner of the store. When I try to get them to go when we are passing by the restroom, they never have to go. Interesting fact).

Anyway, it's not really pleasant, but it's worth the benefits I reap for the following two weeks.

So, today was the big day. And it wasn't any different from the usual and I was trying desperately to get though it quickly. And then, quite unexpectedly, a Joyful Moment popped up. We were in the produce section and I was picking out avocados when suddenly Little M took note.

"Are we getting avocados?"

"Yes."

"Yay! Yay! Avocados! Avocados!" At the top of his nearly 3-year old lungs. It was great. He was so unbelievably ecstatic at the prospect of purchasing avocados.

And for a moment, shopping--even nightmare marathon shopping at WalMart--was fun. Because I got to steal a moment of his sweet, unabashed joy over avocados.

To those of you who know me personally: I'm sorry if you're getting tired of these photos. I just cannot get enough of them. I think he is hysterical.

Anyway, here's wishing all of you a stolen Joyful Moment from someone adorable.

6 comments:

Gunta said...

I bet it'll be fun when you get to show all of these to his girlfriends years from now... ;-)

Melanie said...

My Joyful moment was after a horrible moment when I realized I didn't loose my cool, I didn't yell, I didn't even cry...My son took a sharpie to my beautiful couches in my living room.....

I feel like somehow I mastered myself and the natural tendency to want to scream. However, I do understand why some animals eat their young.

Jen said...

I'd like to meet that little three year-old someday and see if he's anything like these hilarious pictures. What a personality!

Becky said...

I've noticed lots of joyful moments this week, but haven't made the time to share them. One that has been consistent every day, though, is the "Thanks, Mom" my teenage son says every morning after breakfast. What makes it more joyful is that he learned the habit from his older brother.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Linda said...

It snowed all day - Roger worked from home and we spent the entire day together in our warm temporary "home" - life is good. :)