Sunday, February 21, 2010

Day 25: Shady

Today was a very, um... let's say pregnant day for me. Meaning that if it weren't for this blog, I probably would have counted today as a complete loss. But I do have this blog, so I knew all day that I needed to find a way to experience some joy. And I did. I think. It's just that my hormones kind of kept it all sub par. But there were some brief moments.

Like when one of the 9-year olds I teach at church blurted out, "I didn't know you were pregnant!", right after I said something about the pregnancy. To which I replied, "Yes, I am. That's why my belly keeps getting bigger." Her response? "I haven't noticed your belly getting bigger", emphasized with her head shaking solemnly back and forth.

Her mother has trained her well.

And then there was the moment that Little M came running into the room wearing two of Sweet P's headbands and a pair of over sized sunglasses upside down and with quite a bit of jolly gusto blurted out something completely incomprehensible and then ran back to his sister's room.

And then the moment (I'm pretty sure this was the most Joyful of my Joyful Moments today) when Sweet P came over and snuggled quite affectionately in my lap--even though I was sitting right next to HH. This is very significant for two reasons: 1. She isn't really a snuggler. Never has been. Even as a newborn she pushed away for her own space. 2. She ALWAYS chooses HH over me when it comes to the rare moments like that.

And then finally, the moment when Little M came out wearing those same over sized sunglasses, still upside down, but this time on the back of his head. Just like his grandma, he says. But I wonder if she ever runs around wearing only the sunglasses, as he was. That kind of carefree attitude can't help but bring joy to my heart. From a 3-year old, at least. I'm not advocating nudity.

And on that note, here is wishing you all greater than sub par Joyful Moments.

4 comments:

Amy said...

sorry to hear you had a bad day, but congrats on still looking for the good. My joyful moment came today when my neighbor let me hold her sleeping infant for an hour while she led the music in Primary. I miss holding a little baby, and even though I tried to express to her the gratitude I felt for her letting me do that, I dont' think she realized how much I meant it.

Melanie said...

Watching a little play my kids put on tonight for us...It was about Jonah that prophet...they sang the follow the prophet song but changed the words for the chorus..."Swallow the prophet, Swallow the prophet, Swallow the prophet if your a Fish. Swallow the prophet, swallow the prophet, swallow the prophet, he tastes D'lish!" I felt the joy of laughter.

Linda said...

Well, your blog reminds me how important my example is! I loved reading your blog as well as the comments. They are going to be my joy for this day. Hope you feel better tomorrow and have a great week. I love you!

Becky said...

One of my joyful moments yesterday was finding the talk that had the quote I remembered during our Relief Society lesson, and then discovering the source for several of the other comments shared in class as well.

And here's the quote, just in case you were wondering what it was: “A silly idea is current that good people do not know what temptation means. This is an obvious lie. Only those who try to resist temptation know how strong it is. … You find out the strength of a wind by trying to walk against it, not by lying down.” (C.S. Lewis quoted by President James E. Faust in the January 2007 Home Teaching Message.)