Sunday, February 28, 2010

Day 32: Defeating the Mountain

Slaying the Dragon.

Conquering the Windmill.

I think you get it.

During my energetic and ambitious second trimester I came up with all sorts of great ideas and projects and goals. One of these was to sew a Moby Wrap for the new baby. I was so excited about it. I did a bunch of research, ran out and bought the fabric and thread, and then I got a little nervous about doing it, so I set it aside to wait for a braver day.

And then the third trimester hit. Gone was the energy and ambition. Hello exhaustion and lethargy.

And then I realized I didn't even know how to thread my new (to me) sewing machine.

Ack!

Except I was too tired for that much panic, so it was really more of an "Ugh." But you get the picture.

And so there's been a little voice in the back of my head for a month or two nagging me to get 'er done. That and paint the firetruck I bought for Little M's birthday. I stepped up to that challenge earlier in the week and pretty much have it wrapped up, besides some minor detail in the finishing touches.

Then suddenly today, in church, I got this strong feeling that I needed to finish the Moby Wrap. A.S.A.P.

What? Really?

I'm pretty sure that is simply the result of my crazy over-active pregnancy paranoia hormones than anything really significant. But I decided to heed the warning all the same--just to be on the safe side.

So, while everyone else in the house was napping, I pulled out the machine, read the book, messed up a few times, but I persevered. Not only did I succeed in winding a bobbin, I also succeeded in threading the machine! I have almost zero sewing experience and none by myself or with this machine. But I did it.

And that was my Joyful Moment. I'm really quite proud of myself.

So, here's wishing you all Joyful Moments of defeating your own mountains and slaying your own dragons! Go get 'em!

4 comments:

Amy said...

My joyful moment came today when I realized that a goal I'd been working on last month was more of a success than I'd thought it'd be. It was a (personal)goal to do something that I feel I have no talent or inclination for, so I really didn't want to do it. But it's a very vital part of life, so I knew I SHOULD do it. But I spent most of the month very discouraged about it. But then I decided to go and do it anyway. And by then end of the month, I was actually sad to move on to another goal for this month. Which means I must have ended up enjoying it after all. Which means that it was somewhat of a success to me.

Nikki said...

I am proud of you Cheryl. There is a lot of satisfaction that comes from creating.

Nikki said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Linda said...

CONGRATULATIONS! WAY TO GO!! PARABEMS!!! I couldn't be more impressed. Threading a sewing machine can be way tricky. Just figuring that out must have brought you joy. And then you made the wrap too - WOW!

My joy was being invited by good friends to have dinner in their warm home because they still had electricity!