Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Day 555: I'll Give You A Nickle For Your Pickle

Earlier today, I came across a post on a friend's blog about homemade pickles.

Incidentally, when we got home on Sunday I went out to gather the harvest from our garden after being gone for nearly two weeks.  Among other things, I found several very large cucumbers.

I think there was a time that I used to love cucumbers.

Yesterday, as I was eating cucumber simply because we have so much of it, I realized that I haven't actually enjoyed eating a cucumber in quite some time.

Unless it's in my delicious steak salad recipe.  But that's for another post another day.

Anyway, so when I read about my friend making homemade pickles, I instantly thought of my vegetable drawer full of cucumbers (and the 5,000 baby cukes I saw growing on the vine as I weeded today).  And because I'm a genius, I put two and two together and realized I could do the same!


Boom!  A jar of pickles and then some cucumber chocolate chip cookies.

That last bit is a joke.

So, making the pickles was a super easy Joyful Moment (I tried one just a few hours after sticking them in the brine, expecting very little flavor--Holy Cow!  It was a amazing!)

But then I made the cookies to take over to our (Drum Roll, please....) NEW NEIGHBORS!!!!  They moved in just as we were leaving town, so I didn't get to meet them until tonight.  They have three small children, very close in age to my own little darlings.  Oh, yay.  Joyful Moment!!!

Wishing you all Joyful Moments with pickles and cookies!

4 comments:

Gunta said...

I love pickles (especially home made ones!) But I do remember that Belky doesn't like them. Too bad. More for me!

Laura said...

So happy you tried them! I was pleasantly surprised when I tried them as well.

Cheryl said...

Gus--Does the part about more for you mean you're coming to visit while they're still in my fridge? (c:

Laura--Thank you so much! I've been snacking on them all day.

Linda said...

Yea for you! There is something extremely rewarding about canning your own produce. CONGRATULATIONS!