Friday, June 10, 2011

Day 495: HFCS, You Make Me Sad

High Fructose Corn Syrup.  It's in everything.  Have you noticed?  If not, go check the bottles in your fridge.  You'll be amazed to discover what it's lurking in.  And I'm not just talking juice bottles, here.

So, I've been on a quest to find a good barbecue sauce recipe.  It's nearly impossible to find a bottle in the store that doesn't contain HFCS.  Plus, I like making my own stuff from scratch anyway.  We were big fans of Sweet Baby Ray's before I got into all this, so I googled until I came up with a couple that sounded reasonable.

And then I went to work this afternoon altering and combining.  I'm making barbecue chicken pizza sometime during the next few days (my menu schedule is pretty, um, "flexible" these days--depending on my energy level).

It didn't pass the taste test 100%, but it's a lot closer than the last recipe I tried.  So, I'm pretty sure I've found the right foundation, it just needs a little clarification and tweaking.  And then it will be perfect.  And then I will be able to add it to my growing list of products that I would have once thought could only be had on a grocery store shelf, but now am quite capable of producing on my own!

And that was today's Joyful Moment.

Let's just cross our fingers that actually eating it tomorrow will be another Joyful Moment!

Wishing you all Joyful Moments that are homemade and way better than those found on a grocery store shelf!

3 comments:

Melanie said...

Cheryl, My mama has always made her own BBQ sauce because my dad couldn't have the HFCS either. Her sauce is pretty amazing. I'll give it to you if you would like. Love you.

Linda said...

You amaze me. I don't think I could figure out the things you keep figuring out. So thanks for your determination and willingness to share.

Today's joyful moments were preparing and teaching the sisters I visit teach about self-reliance. One of the challenges with this month's lesson is to figure out how I can improve in my own self-reliance. I had some great discussions with my sisters/friends on the subject and am working on it. The Church News had a supplemental article with a painting Julie Beck has in her office titled "Woman with Food Storage" that I found online and printed out. In my thinking process I realized again what amazing daughters and daughters-in-law I have; you are very good examples of self-reliant women.

Markell said...

My sister gave me a recipe too that great with basalmic vinegar. Happy to pass along if you want.